Friday, February 10, 2012

Cakes and Craziness!

This week has been INSANE!  Realistically, if this week had been at any other time, I would have handled it just fine.  However, it followed and even more crazy week so I began this week with little to no energy.  Basically- It's a huge miracle that I've made it through this week in relatively good health, mentally stable, and completed all that I needed too.  And thanks to Jimmie, our house has managed to stay in order :)

I'm kind of on an energy kick right now so I'm taking advantage of it and posting while I can and then getting done as much homework for next week as I can tolerate.  That's because this upcoming week should be very fun and relaxing and I'd like it to stay that way!  Valentine's Day is on Tuesday and on Friday, Geoff, Jimmie, and myself are heading on down to Burbank to visit Steph and Marc for President's Day Weekend! It should be loads of fun and will be wonderful to be able to get away and have a short vacation while visiting family.  We're not really doing anything for Valentine's Day because I have class until 9:30 pm on Tuesday! Instead, of going out we decided to have a nice dinner at home and use that money to go to the Miami Heat vs. Utah Jazz game on March 2nd!  It should be lots of fun... Jimmie's only slightly excited, as you can imagine :)  We're both looking forward to it a lot and got a good deal on tickets!

Anyway, today was one of the more crazy days of the week. I ended up staying up til about 2:30am trying to finish up a group project due today and then had to wake up at 7:30 in order to get ready for class.  This is because each class a different person is assigned treats and this week it was my turn. I had previously promised a girl in my class who's birthday it was that I'd make her a cake.  So I woke up bright and early and made a Devil's food bundt cake, drizzled it with chocolate frosting, and filled the middle with strawberries.  This is essentially the first cake that I ever really made where I learned I loved making cakes long long ago.

You're probably expecting a picture.  Well you won't get one :)  because I forgot to take one.  But it looked great and the whole class was essentially drooling over it.  It was pretty funny.  I made the cake but did not assemble it until I got to the McKay building because it would have been hard to successfully carry an assembled cake up the giant hill by the SFH.  When we served the cake, I had one of the first pieces and then went to another room to work on our presentations for the class.  When I came back a few minutes later..the cake and strawberries were gone.  I mean like, entirely gone.  This is all that was left ... so I guess it was a hit!

And as most of you probably saw, I was able to make a cake on Sunday as well for the Superbowl!  I really had no idea what I was going to do with the limited supplies I realized I had, but I think it turned out alright.  Congratulations to the Giants on their Superbowl victory.


I've so missed making cakes!  And now that Cake Boss: The Next Great Baker is over...I can no longer live vicariously through their cake making!  So you'll probably continue to see cake pictures, so long as I have an occasion to make one.  Can you say "Valentine's Day"?  Here I come.

2 comments:

  1. So I just wrote a whole message on this stupid tablet and then erased it cause I don't know how to work this thing! OK, venting over. I love the cakes. Both of them. :) and I'm reasonably sure I gave scott tickets to a jazz game for valentines day right after we were married too. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can get a mental picture of that famous bundt cake. It's a keeper (well, not in the sense that there is ever anything left of it) but let's face it....it has served the Foulks well for many years. Way to wow 'em again, Em!!!

    ReplyDelete